Friday, November 2, 2012

November!!!!!

November is one of my favorite months of the year! The weather is starting to get colder, the leaves are falling and the smells are wonderful. I also love all of the fall clothes you get to wear cute little scarves, boots and jackets. But since coming to college I have realized that fall is more then all of that, it is the season of change and excitement.

Recently fall sports here at WPI are coming to a bitter end with many new accomplishments under our belts. As a member of the Women's crew team I can speak directly to this. This past weekend I woke up at 4:30 am to travel with 45 other men and women to Saratoga Springs, New York to Head of The Fish!!
This race was super exciting for all of us because we don't really travel as a team, but it was even more exciting for me because it was 20 minutes from home. We arrived in Saratoga at 8:30 after about a 2 and a half hour bus ride, just in time to see our Alumni Four race down the course to a 3rd place finish, what a great start to the day. With my race, in the mixed 8+ (does that mean boys?) not until 3:58 pm I had lots of time to walk around and get a lay of the land and do some light knitting while watching the races. At 10:13 and 10:30 are women's first two varsity boats came RIPPING down the course to 5th and 9th place finishes. Later on in the day our Novice women raced in their SECOND RACE EVER, having a strong performance coming in 7th out of 30 boats. After all of these races I still had some time until my race to spend with my family who came to see me!!!
As it got closer to race time I got more and more excited and a little nervous! At 2:30 our men's 1v and 2v raced down the course like beast to 8th and 5th place finishes. As the men finished I raced down to the docks with the 8 women in the two mixed 8's to meet the boys. Me and my women swiftly got into the 2 mens boats with the men's 1v, and headed to the start of the race!!!!! After waiting at the start for 25 minutes and lots of heckling from the men, our race went off. Forgetting all my nerves I quickly got right into the swing of things leading the 8 others down the course. We quickly started passing boats (4 in total), and flew down the course.

After the 3,350 meters were over we found out we finished only 2 boats behind the other WPI, who had started 4 boats in front of us. Now that the racing was over we starting taking our boats apart, and painfully waited for the results...... About 20 minutes after the race the results were in!!!!!!! I raced over to the board like a kid on christmas, and saw First- WPI, Second- WPI!! OOOOOOOO yeah second place and a metal!!!! This was the perfect ending to a great season for me, and now I can't wait for spring season.


Now for my new favorite part of fall RECRUITMENT!!!!!!!!!! 

Recruitment started on Wednesday with round 1. Round 1 was great, over 220 young women came through Higgins House to meet the wonderful women I have a pleasure to call my sisters. With the hard work of the recruitment team the room was great and things ran smoothly. Recruitment also means the arrival of the LC.

Hope our LC was supposed to arrive on Tuesday, but due to Sandy she did not get in to Logan until Thursday afternoon. Myself and Nikole Dunn got the pleasure of picking her up, whoever thought that was a good idea I don't know. After a small detour we finally made it back to Worcester all in one piece , with even more excitement for round two. 

As I sit here writing this I keep getting more and more excited for round two of recruitment tonight and hope that ever one is just as excited as I am. Can't wait to see all of you lovely ladies again tonight and to meets lot of awesome women. Get excited.

Loyally,

Jess P <3

No comments:

Post a Comment