Tuesday, November 20, 2012

The Wonderful World of WPI


A “Special” Week in Review

Sunday: Wake up late, Brunch in DAKA, get Material Science homework out of the way. Shower before Chapter.

Monday: We get the news at noon. A water main has broken in front of Worcester State. There is now a water shortage through out the city. No more showers or toilets.

Tuesday: Up early, go to breakfast then I realize….. MY IQP INTERVIEW IS TODAY AND I HAVEN’T SHOWERED SINCE SUNDAY!!!

Insert panic here. 
Classes had been canceled until noon, and since my interview was scheduled for the morning, I am blissfully hopeful that it is canceled.  I send an email to the professor, PRAYING that she intends to cancel. Just as I click send a new message appears in my inbox. My interview is still on… and I still haven’t showered since Sunday. This is the moment that I am eternally thankful for Wet Wipes and Dry Shampoo. 

Fifteen min later I don’t feel any cleaner, but I do look cleaner. Add some appropriate clothes and I was as ready as I was going to get. Totter up the hill in heels as I battle the rain (Rain during a water shortage, how ironic), and campus looks like a ghost town.  I arrive as Salisbury Labs and the panic goes up another notch. The Red Lights are on the Card Readers, which means NO ACCESSE to poor sophomores that haven’t bothered replacing their broken idea cards yet. Which would be this kid.  I hover around the door, hoping that someone will come up and rescue me. Insert thank you to the student that wanted to go work in the computer labs.  I have made it into the building.

 Next I must get past the Gate Keeper. In the lounge waits a facilities person to turn away anyone who wishes to be at school before noon. My rescuer from before is denied. It is my turn to get past him. He asks me my purpose inside, I launch into my tale and my anxiety makes my voice inch up an octave. He attempts to deny me, first by asking if the professor I’m looking for is in the building (she is), then by telling me to call Campo and make sure it was bueno. I pull out my phone, dial, and hope that I don’t have service. I don’t. After my phone rings for a few minutes, he tells me I can go to the professor’s office and I can stay as long as I don’t use any of the facilities. I agree, and he allows me to proceed.

I make it to the professor’s office, make it through my interview and then I head home.

As I make to back to my place (which is on campus) I pass one of the Residential Services Professionals. I let the nice man in, he turns on the faucets, checks that everything is working, tells me we can now use the showers, then goes merrily on his way.

Timing, 
Morgan Boyd
2015

No comments:

Post a Comment